Are the madrasas in Pakistan
spreading hatred?

By

Jonathan Power
TFF Associate since 1991
Comments to
JonatPower@aol.com

December 8, 2005

LONDON - Tightening the noose on Islamic seminaries - madrasas - Pakistan's president, Pervez Musharraf, promulgated last week an ordinance prohibiting these institutions from teaching or publishing literature which promotes militancy, sectarianism and religious hatred.

This should please both the Americans and the British who have long been convinced as Colin Powell, when Secretary of State, put it, that "the madrasas are a breeding ground for fundamentalists and terrorists". Some of the suicide bombers who exploded the bombs on the London transport system in July were educated in Pakistani madrasas and London has been leaning on Islamabad to close down the more extremist ones.

How virulent are they? Yesterday I arrived unannounced at one the of the largest madrasas in Lahore, a city that, besides being the home of some of the most beautiful and breathtaking of Mogul architecture, sits close up to the Indian border and provides a base for an assortment of militant groups, some prepared to use violence without compunction.

I purposely chose a madrasa of the Deobandi school of Islamic belief which is considered to be close to the ultra fundamentalist Wahabism of Saudi Arabia. This madrassa, Jamera Ashnafia, has 1200 boys, where they spend two years at the age of 10 doing little else but learning the Koran by heart. Some later go on to government schools to learn from a wider curriculum, some return at the age of 16 or 18 to study Islamic theology up to university level.

Everything is free, the atmosphere is convivial and the sizeable buildings grouped around a mosque are roomy and airy. In the mosque small groups of boys giggled and recited their way through the pages of the Koran. The finance is all raised inside Pakistan from donations, the madrasa's accountant told me. Accompanied by a university professor who read the Urdu notices pinned to various boards and walls we could find not one word of an extremist pitch. One said simply, "Even a smile is charity". We left convinced, as one teacher told us, that the school has no truck with violence and even forbids teachers to use corporal punishment. "Even if a pupil decides to use his pen as a stick and poke some one we are against it," he said.

Maybe I was hoodwinked but I don't think so. I checked out their reputation and it stands up well. But there is no doubt that militant madrasas abound in Pakistan. Too many observers who know the country well and who know what's what in Pakistani education have seen first hand the preaching and indoctrination of hatred by clerics, creating a class of religious lumpen proletariat.

One of the most notorious is Haqqania, recently visited by the India-based novelist William Dalrymple. In the latest issue of the New York Review of Books he reports that its director boasted to him that whenever the Taliban put out a call for fighters he would simply close down the school and send the boys off to war.

The International Crisis Group says there are 10,000 madrasas. The World Bank has challenged this figure saying that less than 1% of all Pakistanis are educated in them.

Would you be reading this now,
if it wasn't useful to you?
Get more quality articles in the future

What is not challenged is that the madrasas exist because of the country's appalling record on state education. In contrast to its neighbor, India, one administration after another has allowed the educational system the British built up to disintegrate. It has been saved by two developments - the first, the madrasas which give at least some education to the poor and at the other pole the astonishing success of the Beaconhouse school system which began as a single playgroup 30 years ago and thanks to the drive of one exceptional woman has mushroomed into a school system all over the country that ranges from kindergarten to university, with some 60,000 students. I lectured for two days to nearly a thousand of its teachers and I have rarely come across a group exuding such dedication. But this is private education catering almost exclusively to the children of the elite.

It is right that the government is now pushing for registration of the madrasas, watching more carefully the outside money (often Saudi) that arrives to finance some of them and expelling, as it did immediately after the London bombings, some of its foreign students.

But the baby should not get thrown out with the bathwater. After all, in the centuries before imperial conquest madrasas were the major source of Islamic religious and scientific learning. Our mortarboards, tassels, academic robes and rituals of the oral defence of a written thesis can all be traced back to the madrasas.

By all means make them better and broader in what they teach but to seek their abolition would only be one more blow for the self-esteem and urge for self-betterment of the very poor of this fraught but forward looking country.

Copyright © 2005 By JONATHAN POWER

I can be reached by phone +44 7785 351172 and e-mail: JonatPower@aol.com

Get free articles & updates

Follow this link to read about - and order - Jonathan Power's book written for the

40th Anniversary of Amnesty International

"Like Water on Stone - The Story of Amnesty International"

Här kan du läsa om - och köpa - Jonathan Powers bok på svenska

"Som Droppen Urholkar Stenen"

mail
Tell a friend about this article

Send to:

Message and your name

S P E C I A L S & F O R U M S

Iraq Forum

Gandhi & India

Burundi Forum